I sold shares of Solar City (SCTY) today for the reasons below.
- Musk and Rive brother's funding latest round of debt signaling weakness in demand.
- Shares of Solar City lagging Tesla which may indicate problems with deal.
- Reasons cited in articles below.
- Musk's announcement of solar rooftop could be a huge boon for the company.
SolarCity: Why Are Shares Not Matching Tesla?, Seeking Alpha, 23aug16
- In June 16, Tesla 0.122 to 0.131 per shares for each share of SolarCity they owned.
- In early August, merger set at 0.11 shares of Tesla for each share of SolarCity.
- Since merger agreement, Tesla shares down 2.9%, while SolarCity shares have fallen 12.8%.
Musk Fiddles As SolarCity Burns, Seeking Alpha, 24aug16
- $125m bonds bought mostly by Musk $65m and Rives brothers $35m.
- "interest rate on these Solar Bonds is steep - 6.5% for 18-month... junk bond category"
- Earnings announced on August 9th, no mention of pending bond filing on August 17th.
- "main purchaser of Solar Bonds in the past has been SpaceX"