I bought Chipoltle today for following reasons;
- CEO's Steve Ellis' continued excellence and enthusiasm.
- Management's reaction to e.coli issue.
- First positive earnings surprise since e.coli outbreak.
- Year-to-year comparisons should be positive for at least a year.
- Diversification into fast food to limit downside in market selloff. Price: $484.34 Trade/Portfolio: 2.26% Position/Portfolio: 6.65%
I bought Chipoltle today for the following reasons;
- Stock down from $750 to $465 in last 18 months due to e.coli problems.
- CEO seems as committed as ever. Competitive statement vis a via Panera.
- Easy comparisons coming up for next 3 quarters.
- Same store sales in January up 26%.
% of Portfolio: 4.95%
I bought Chipoltle today for $452 the following reasons.
- 18 month since e.coli meltdown and company has made a lot of progress fixing the issue.
- Steve Ellis seems as motivated as ever to fix the problem.
- Company continues to buy back stock.
- Mexican fast food should do relatively well in a general market downturn.
- Stock is down from $750 high 18 months ago.
I sold shares in Amazon today for the following reasons;
- After 225% run it has become 2nd largest holding in portfolio.
- The stock seems to be getting a bit ahead of itself.
- After 9 year run in bull market, I am moving more into cash.
I sold shares of Solar City (SCTY) today for the reasons below.
- Musk and Rive brother's funding latest round of debt signaling weakness in demand.
- Shares of Solar City lagging Tesla which may indicate problems with deal.
- Reasons cited in articles below.
- Musk's announcement of solar rooftop could be a huge boon for the company.
SolarCity: Why Are Shares Not Matching Tesla?, Seeking Alpha, 23aug16
- In June 16, Tesla 0.122 to 0.131 per shares for each share of SolarCity they owned.
- In early August, merger set at 0.11 shares of Tesla for each share of SolarCity.
- Since merger agreement, Tesla shares down 2.9%, while SolarCity shares have fallen 12.8%.
Musk Fiddles As SolarCity Burns, Seeking Alpha, 24aug16
- $125m bonds bought mostly by Musk $65m and Rives brothers $35m.
- "interest rate on these Solar Bonds is steep - 6.5% for 18-month... junk bond category"
- Earnings announced on August 9th, no mention of pending bond filing on August 17th.
- "main purchaser of Solar Bonds in the past has been SpaceX"
I bought shares of Chipoltle today because;
- Revenue has reversed trend. This type of inflexion points usually leads to strong gains.
- My family and I eat at Chipoltle more often and we feel that awareness and programs being implemented make it less likely to get food poisoning at Chipoltle than other restaurants.
- Stock still trading well below high of $750 about nine months ago.
- Founder still running Chipoltle and appears committed to fixing the issue.
I sold IEZ because;
- Long term trend in oil seems uninspiring as electric cars and solar continue to nibble away at potential market
Position/Portfolio: Closed position